Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Kitchen Progress


This weekend included some kitchen projects. We are moving along and it looks like this will be a longer process than anticipated. Rob was hoping to reuse the drawers on the bottom half of our cabinets and replace the fronts. However, they were attached very well and would not be able to be separated. Therefore Rob had to build six new drawers along with drawer fronts. He also has to build three new cabinet doors to go with this bottom half as well.  We decided to go black on the bottom cabinets and white on the uppers.  Here is how they look so far... and of course please excuse the mess as everything is sort of tossed around lately due to the kitchen being in shambles.

Then we finally agreed on a back splash idea. It is not that we did not agree on anything it was that we were not really in a hunt for anything in particular. We decided on Honey Onyx but we are unsure whether we should do the small or large rectangles.  I bought these samples from Amazon and hope to place an order soon once we figure out what we need. Let me know your thoughts on which size you think we should get.  The larger tile shown is one inch by two inches in size.




I'm headed to Ikea on Friday (cross your fingers snow doesn't get in my way) to order our counter tops for the one side of the kitchen. The other side will have to wait for now. Unless someone wants to sponsor us and give us a quartz counter. I don't think that will happen though.

Thanks for checking us out today!

14 comments:

  1. if you find someone to sponsor your countertops, let me know. ;) i am in the market, too! love the larger scale tile!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't hurt to email a few places, you might get a discount at the least, worst they can say is no. I like the larger tiles personally. Sucks about the draws must be testing the patience having the kitchen like that. It will be worth it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making much faster progress than we are! I'm watching this story line with interest because we knocked out a wall and are in the midst of making decisions as well. Flooring samples are laying around our dining room right now. :) Good luck with your IKEA trip? Which one do you go to? Our closest is the Pittsburgh store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, good choice with the tile! I'm leaning more towards the larger tile, though.
    It looks like it's really coming along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh living through kitchen remodels is so hard! I wish we had an IKEA within a 2hour drive! I like the larger tile best...but that's just me. The smaller one is pretty busy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous of your kitchen remodel. I'm dying to do mine. It's hard to pick a size of tile from your choices because they're both pretty. I'd love to see what they look like up against the wall for scale. :)
    :) Elena

    ReplyDelete
  7. PROGRESS. Rob is so talented. I can't believe he built you drawers. And, it looks like you are getting custom cabinets to fit all your stuff perfectly into. Lucky!!! I vote for the slightly bigger tiles. I can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I survived a kitchen remodel last year. It is so worth it in the end. We went with the larger tiles and I love them. Mine have more of a brown tone than yours but I like the color you chose. You might try using both sizes, maybe using the smaller for accenting or as a border. But if you just go with one my vote goes to the larger. Grouting is a major pain and the smaller will require more grout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. for the kitchen I would lean toward the larger tile, and (as someone already said) maybe using the smaller tiles as accent or border

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your kitchen remodel. I am considering starting a small scale one this year and am a little nervous about it.
    We ordered countertops from Ikea and had great success with them. Just plan on spending a good amount of time there because it takes awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are doing fine, Megan! Kitchens take forever, but your's is moving along! It's so good that Rob can build all that! I'm still afraid of drawers and doors! :) Both tiles are nice, but I, on the contrary, kind of like the small one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Rob is a keeper! And I love the tile. It's hard to tell scale in the photo, but I'm kind of liking the smaller tile. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one - very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how exciting with your progress and all these decisions that need to me made. I think either size will look wonderful in your newly remodeled kitchen.I am proud of you guys! Laura@ Top This Top That

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love love white marble, but in Norway it is SO expensive! Thank you for this lovely inspiration. Have a good day
    honey onyx

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate you stopping by! We love to read every comment on here. :)